Thursday, July 23, 2009

Graboid Pen & Pencil Holder

This craft/art idea was made because I'll be going back to school in less than a month, so I wanted to create something that would give my dorm room some dorky personality. I enjoy the Tremors movies so I made a Graboid Pencil Holder for my desk (my mom thinks I'm werid). I think a lot of my projects in the near future will be for decorating my new school space.

If you don't know what the heck a Graboid is, please watch the first 3 Tremors films. They are full of fun, cheesy, sci fi movie goodness.

Here's what you will need to make one of your own:
  • gloves
  • soup can
  • aluminum can
  • scissors
  • aluminum foil
  • super sculpey
  • exactoknife
  • acrylic paints and painting supplies
  • reference pictures are always useful
  • rubbing alcohol (optional)
  • varnish (optional)
Please before you begin, use a pair of gloves when you are
handling your can, I didn't and this is what happened
I got a booboo!
Someone in my house didn't use the usual can
opener that leaves a smooth edge.
Anyway on to

Step one:
Remove your label from your soup can.

Use your aluminum foil to build up the desire shape. The more foil you
use for this process the less sculpey you will use. The foil is lighter and
less expensive so I tried to build the bulk of my sculpture out of it.
Cut out the four pieces of the head using the aluminum can.
Attach them using sculpey. Start bulding out the form using the foil first and then add clay.
Here's the holder without any detail.
I find rubbing alcohol works well for helping to smooth out the
form when using super sculpey.
Now use the exacto knife or sculpting tools add the details and textures.
Just remember that textures should look like they have a reason for
being on the body of the creature. Now bake it according to the box directions.
Once it is baked, give it a fitting paint job and some varnish.
Here is an image of the finished piece without the writing
instruments stuffed down its gullet.

Also here's some Tremors fan art that I made awhile ago.
They are spoilers if you haven't seen the films yet!

Alright have a great day! Talk to you all soon.
Sponzar

3 comments:

  1. In each school locker for a place to store pens and pencils is certainly something that is necessary. You can buy magnetic pencils are nice, but what is better than the DIY cabinet accessory. Make a pencil locker at school students can add a personal touch. I will show you how to build once again, the old and worn jeans that her son is too big with this project denim pocket magnet.

    promotional pencils

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. plan on making one thx for posting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please,do this but instead a pencil/pen holder make it be an ice-cream/cereal bowl.

    ReplyDelete