Sunday, July 19, 2009

Edible Golden Stitches

I can not believe it! Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince was released July 15th for our viewing pleasure! Being such a momentously dorky occasion a bake good had to made in its honor. Disappointingly, I did not get to attend the midnight showing. My sister was sick and I could not bear to see it without her.(She's the one who introduced me to the books.) So we went on Wednesday afternoon.
Anyway, filled with fan girl glee we made this:


The Golden Snitch, it's melting in my hand!
So inspired by this we put some of them on sticks
I'm sure that this recipe could be made a lot pretty by someone who has more baking experience. We got our inspiration from something my sister makes often, cake balls. They are delicious and I thought, what can I make that into that is Harry Potter related. Snitches, they would be perfect! The recipe for cake balls is pretty simple, we originally got it from here. It's one of our favorites blogs, her stuff is absolutely incredible. Anyway, lets get down to potion's class, muggle style.

So to start your Snitches you will need:
* 13X9 baked cake from a box cake mix or from scratch any flavor you wish (I would suggest a yellow cake just in case you can't get it to cover completely)
* can cream cheese frosting (or about 2 cups from scratch)
* a package yellow chocolate melting wafers (you can also use white waffers and just add some food coloring.)
* royal icing
* wax paper
*big marshmallows

Now bake a cake:
Crumble it up into a bowl, add the frosting. I ended up only making half the cake (we still have tribble cupcakes in the freezer).
Now we mash it all up using your hands. Wash your hands after (it's going to be squishy).
Take some of the mixture and roll it up into a ball.
Here are mine:
Put them in the fridge for a several hours or 30 minutes in the freezer.
Meanwhile, melt you chocolate in the microwave or double boiler according to the directions on the package.
Remove the balls from the freezer and give them a bath in the chocolate. Put your cake balls on a stick or use a tooth pick. If you can't get it to cover all around use a spoon to drizzle the chocolate.

Good Luck with Dipping!

Now on to the wings.
I cut the wings out of the marshmallows and used the left over pieces to create individual feathers or I drew them on using a black edible marker. Then I attached them to the side of you flightless stitches with some royal icing. Put in fridge to cool again. Lastly remove them one more time and serve!

We wish you all good luck with this project. If you have a vial of Liquid Luck it could come in handy. They taste really good, so they are worth the effort in the end.

Yummy!
Talk to you soon.
Sponzar

No comments:

Post a Comment